Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Greening the Family Tree

Present trent of opting for nuclear family to earlier joint family has thrown up a new peculiar situation. I tried to remember the names and birthday of my grandparents but got stuck. I could recall the names of my father and mother's parents, but not their birthdays. I had no clue about my grandparents parents. I clearly recall whenever in the past we assembled for family functions, stories about someone from the past were always recited. Surely I am not the only one who cannot recall the names of our great-grandparents.

Today I have two grandchildren. My grandchildren already have a PAN card, Passport and Bank account in their names. They would be 1 year and 2 year old in July 2008. Suddenly a brainwave struck me. The bank account could be used among other functions for greening the family tree.

Since I know the names and birthdays of my and my wife's parents the process can be set rolling. On the birthday of our parents I have started the ritual to deposit a fixed amount in the bank account of my grandchildren. This among other objectives, will ensure that my children and their children will always remember the names and birthday of our parents. Our names and the names of parents of our baburanis can be added when our grandchildren have their children. The family tree will start growing as time goes on.

Yes, the most obvious benefit apart from greening the family tree is meeting the financial needs of the child as he grows up. I personally feel this arrangement also meets a very private need which coming generations need but hesitate to accept. The importance of relegious belief in our lives. Let us see the similarities one by one:

We have not met the Gods and Goddessess who love us as family,only seen photo/idol as shown to us by elders. Same holds true for our Great-Grandparents. Someone we trust atleast vouches for them hence it becomes easier to relate and accept their bonafides. It is accepted by everyone that parents may have issues with their children, but when it comes to grandchildren only one emotion remains- LOVE nothing else matters.

The money credit in pass-book on thes special days (birthdays of G-GP) is similar to getting prasad in the temple after praying. This symbolises the responce we seek from the almighty.

If God responds to our call for help, How can we doubt our own Great-grandparents will not? Longer the Tree, more potent the responce.

Remembering our Great-Grandparents will get us the same PROTECTION and BLESSINGS which we look up to Gods to provide.

I felt so happy to remember the birthdays in order to make the deposit, I can visualise how thrilled my grandchildren would be, once they reach the age of understanding what is happening.

The entire concept has so many other facets it can be discussed at length.

1 comment:

Mama - Mia said...

papa - we for one are very happy to see some green effect in Cubby's account!! hehe!

jokes apart its indeed a beautiful concept at a practical but more importantly at emotional level!

brilliant first post!!

cheers!

abha

Do you think this is the time to exit Indian stock markets?